Whether you are a Hollywood celebrity or just a Los Angeles resident, you want to look your best each day. While most celebrities have expensive stylists who pick out their clothes, apply their makeup, and do their hair, every celebrity’s best accessory is one that you can get without help from a stylist—it’s a beautiful smile!
How You Can Have a Gorgeous Smile
There are many cosmetic and restorative procedures that can help you have your best smile. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s 2011 report ranks crown and bridge work as the top cosmetic dentistry procedure, followed by whitening, anterior bonding, veneers, dentures, and dental implants. These procedures can provide a straighter and whiter smile by correcting tooth damage, replacing lost teeth, and removing or covering stains. In addition to these procedures, maintaining regular dental care through daily flossing and brushing and biannual dental exams can keep your smile healthy and beautiful. Avoiding drinks that stain teeth, such as wine, coffee, and tea, and rinsing your mouth with water when you do drink them will also help maintain the health and appearance of your smile.
Why Beautiful Smiles Are So Important
Having a gorgeous, healthy smile is not only important for your appearance, but also for your overall health. Poor oral health has been linked to a number of conditions that affect your entire body. The Mayo Clinic reports that cardiovascular disease and stroke may be linked to oral bacteria, while gum disease in pregnant women may contribute to low birth weight and premature birth. Gum disease can also affect how quickly a woman can conceive. If you are undergoing joint replacement surgery, you’ll want to be in good oral health beforehand, as a major cause of joint replacement failure is infection that spreads from gum tissue affected by periodontitis.
How Your Smile Can Help You Look Younger
As you age, so does your smile. Cosmetic dentistry and excellent at home care can limit the effects of aging on your teeth and give you a more youthful appearance. Many older dental patients experience tooth decay and tooth loss, which can lead to shifting teeth. Receding gums are another sign of age, and plaque buildup that leads to gum disease is a top cause of gum recession. Tooth color also plays an important role in how young or old your smile makes you appear. As you age, your enamel is worn away to reveal the yellowish dentin underneath. By preventing enamel erosion and seeing your cosmetic dentist for professional whitening, you can maintain a bright, youthful smile.
Check out this list of 27 tips, stats, and facts regarding dental health and beautiful smiles, and share your new knowledge with your friends and followers! Quickly share your favorites on Twitter by clicking “Tweet This,” or simply repost to Facebook or Google+.
- Wine can stain your teeth and erode your enamel. Take small sips and rinse with water to save your smile. http://fxn.ws/QSB8UD #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Do not let your teeth retire early. One quarter of Americans 65 and older have lost all their teeth. Via @CDCgov #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Research suggests that poor oral health and gum disease may be linked to heart disease and stroke. Via @MayoClinic #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- The teeth naturally shift with age, but Invisalign treatment can help restore your straight smile. http://abcn.ws/V7rdhL #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- A single lost tooth can have a major impact on your ability to eat, speak, and have a straight smile. http://bit.ly/dhyOCY #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Candy isn’t the only dental offender—carbonated sodas, sports drinks, and starchy foods also cause enamel erosion. Via @WebMD #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Trying to conceive? Having gum disease may increase the time it takes for you to become pregnant. http://huff.to/PkQMrm #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Those with gum disease may have a nearly doubled risk for developing coronary artery disease. http://bit.ly/xqql7 #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Having good oral health boosts your ability to smell, taste, and chew—brush and floss to enjoy your meals! Via @CDCgov #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- The number of male cosmetic dentistry patients increases annually. In 2011, 2 out of 5 patients were men. http://bit.ly/S3kCjO #CitySmile (Tweet This)
- Gum disease can lead to tooth loss and health issues, and smoking causes half of the severe cases in the US. Via @CDCgov #CitySmile (Tweet This)